First Day AccessSummer Semester 2020 FDA Information Sheet
First Day Access is a South Dakota Board of Regents adopted program. It converts physical course materials into instantly accessible, totally interactive and adaptive digital content, while drastically reducing the cost to students. Your instructor have submitted their course material requests and have elected to use this program.
- Two Main Goals
- Reducing the cost of course materials.
- Improving educational outcomes for students.
All students get the same course material with convenient day-one access to course content. This allows them to experience more interactive and adaptive digital content that has been shown to improve educational outcomes.
- The Process is Simple
- Faculty adopt their course material and choose to use the FDA program.
- Once the course is set-up, students are able to access the content through D2L on the first day of class. (D2L must be activated by the faculty member).
- Student accounts are charged once they are registered for the course using FDA.
- Payment is due at the same time as tuition and fees.
- Students have the option to OPT-OUT of this program before the Universities add/drop deadline.
- Students that have OPTED-OUT of the program will receive a refund after the add/drop deadline has passed.
First Day Access is much less expensive than other options; because of the increased buy-in from students in a class offering First Day Access, publishers are willing to negotiate much lower prices than they are for print materials. It also gives students convenient day-one access to course content, and allows them to experience more interactive and adaptive digital content that has been shown to improve educational outcomes. In addition, it gives faculty members the freedom to better tailor their course materials, and they still have full academic freedom to choose the texts they want for their classes.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does First Day Access cost?
- The price varies depending upon the course materials chosen by the instructor, but most First Day Access prices are lower than the cost to access the material direct through the publisher, and average 50% to 70% off the cost of the printed text.
- How will I get my access code?
- If your instructor is using First Day Access, you are already enrolled. You will be notified via email prior to the start of class with access instructions and information on opting out. This information may also be provided in the instructor’s syllabus.
- How do I pay for my access?
- Students are billed at the time of registration. No waiting in line with a heavy, expensive book!
- What does it mean to opt-out?
- If you do not wish to participate in First Day Access or you already have the course material, you have until the University's add/drop deadline to opt out of the program online. The opt-out procedure will be outlined in your emailed information. If you opt out by the deadline, access to the online content will be turned off and you will receive a refund after the add/drop deadline.
- I opted out by mistake and realized that I still need my access. Can I opt back in?
- Yes! Students are able to opt back in to First Day Access before the University's add/drop deadline.
- I did not opt out, but I did not register my access or use the online platform. Will I still be billed?
- Yes. All students who are enrolled in a course using First Day Access are automatically considered part of the program. To avoid being billed you must opt out online before the University's add/drop deadline.
- I dropped the course. Do I still need to opt out?
- Students who drop the course by the University's add/drop deadline will automatically be issued a refund by the university.
- I forgot to opt out and missed the deadline. Can I get a refund now?
- Once billing has been completed, the only option for a retroactive refund is with documented withdrawal.
- Who should I contact if I am having trouble with access to the online content?
- If you need additional assistant, contact the Rocker Shop. If it is a questions regarding something in the access code itself. First, try the online help desk of the publisher for your course’s content. The publisher of your content should be listed in the initial email you received about your inclusion in First Day Access. If addition help is needed after trying the publisher, contact the Rocker Shop.
- I already have access to the online platform from a previous course. Can I continue without paying twice?
- If you are in a continuing series course (example, you took PHY 9A and paid for access, and you are now taking PHY 9B), Simply OPT-OUT of the course materials and continue to log in with your original account and simply assign your new course ID to access the homework. If your current section does not require the homework, you can still use the platform’s self-study tools and do not need a new course ID.
- I added the class late. When is my payment due?
- Your bill will be due at time of registration. Contact the Cashier's Office to pay or make payment arrangements.
- I didn’t get an email about my course, but other students in my class did. Was I sent an email?
- All enrolled students are emailed about the program.
- I have further questions that were not addressed. Who do I contact?
- If your question wasn’t answered in this FAQ, please email Jennifer, for more information.
Updated as of 03/2019